Hong Kong, officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, has remained an autonomous territory and has different migration regulations than Mainland China. Citizens of some countries and territories are expected to obtain a Hong Kong Transit Visa at an embassy or consulate.
Nationals of the following countries must obtain a Transit Visa for Hong Kong, even if they are to remain at the airport transit area.
|Afghanistan||DR Congo||Iraq||Sierra Leone|
|Central African Republic||Guinea Bissau||North Korea||Togo|
As an exception, citizens of Pakistan who hold a regular passport (not a diplomatic one) must have any type of visa to enter Hong Kong unless:
- The Pakistani traveller is to stay in the transit area
- The connecting flight departs within 12 hours of their arrival
- They hold a valid residence permit or visa issues by one of these countries: Australia, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, the US, South Korea, or any Schengen Member country.
To apply for a Hong Kong visa from Pakistan, travellers are advised to contact an embassy or consulate. They will need to provide an application form, a passport-style photo, proof of financial means, etc.
Basic Entry Requirement for All Foreign Visitors
Hong Kong has a series of entry requirements that apply for all foreigners who wish to enter the HKSAR. The main requirement for all travellers is:
- A passport with at least one month validity beyond the date of their intended stay.
- Excluding Indian citizens who must have at least 6 months validity of their passport when traveling to Hong Kong.
- All foreign visitors must also complete the immigration card on arrival
The below are eligibility criteria that may not be asked of all foreigners but may favorably affect the visa application:
- The applicant shows proof of sufficient funds for their stay, without working while in Hong Kong
- The applicant has no serious criminal records and is not considered a security risk
- The applicant has an onward or return ticket or other travel arrangements.
Many travellers from western countries might not be checked for compliance for the last three requirements mentioned above. However, all travellers are subject to checks by Hong Kong immigration officials.
How Long Does the Transit Visa Take?
Once the application for a visit/transit visa has been lodged, it takes up to 4 weeks for the authorities to process it. The Immigration Department will not be able to approve your visa until it’s completed in all of its parts and all the necessary supporting documents have been attached.
Unless the normal processing time has already passed, applicants are advised not to contact the Immgration Department as this may delay their application review.