Hong Kong, officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, has remained an autonomous territory and has different migration regulations than Mainland China. Citizens of some countries and territories are expected to obtain a Hong Kong Transit Visa at an embassy or consulate.
Nationals of the following countries must obtain a Transit Visa for Hong Kong, even if they are to remain at the airport transit area.
|Afghanistan||DR Congo||Iraq||Sierra Leone|
|Central African Republic||Guinea Bissau||North Korea||Togo|
As an exception, citizens of Pakistan who hold a regular passport (not a diplomatic one) must have any type of visa to enter Hong Kong unless:
- The Pakistani traveller is to stay in the transit area
- The connecting flight departs within 12 hours of their arrival
- They hold a valid residence permit or visa issues by one of these countries: Australia, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, the US, South Korea, or any Schengen Member country.
To apply for a Hong Kong visa from Pakistan, travellers are advised to contact an embassy or consulate. They will need to provide an application form, a passport-style photo, proof of financial means, etc.
Basic Entry Requirement for All Foreign Visitors
Hong Kong has a series of entry requirements that apply for all foreigners who wish to enter the HKSAR. The main requirement for all travellers is:
A passport with at least one month validity beyond the date of their intended stay. Excluding Indian citizens who must have at least 6 months validity of their passport when traveling to Hong Kong.
Other important Hong Kong entry requirements for all foreign visitors are:
- to complete the immigration card on arrival
- have onward or return travel arrangements
- have sufficient funds for their stay, without working while in Hong Kong
- no serious criminal records
- not be considered a security risk
Many travellers from western countries might not be checked for compliance for the last three requirements mentioned above. However, all travellers are subject to checks by Hong Kong immigration officials.