Pre-arrival Registration for Indians
Indian citizens who wish to visit Hong Kong must obtain the Pre-Arrival registration, PAR, instead of applying for a Hong Kong visa. In the past Indian Citizens could obtain a visa-on-arrival in Hong Kong.
On December 12th, 2016, the Hong Kong Immigration Department announced that nationals of India would be required to complete an online pre-arrival registration before visiting Hong Kong. As of January 23rd, 2017, Indian citizens were to pre-register in order to visit Hong Kong. To complete the Hong Kong PAR, the applicant should provide their personal details and passport information.
Indian nationals must apply online for the PAR to enter Hong Kong. Each pre-arrival registration will be valid for a period of six months or until the passport expires. When the PAR has been approved, Indian citizens can enter the Hong Kong Administrative Region, (HKSAR). The PAR grants Indian nationals a stay of up to 14 days.
Indian nationals who hold a PAR are not allowed to work in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong PAR ✓
PAR Registration for Indians: Eligibility
Indian nationals must register with the PAR system online before leaving for Hong Kong. Indians can apply if:
- They hold an Indian passport valid for at least 6 months
- Intend to visit or transit through the HKSAR for no longer than 14 days
Some categories of Indian citizens are exempt from registering with PAR. These include:
- Those in possession of a valid Indian diplomatic or official passport
- Those in possession of a United Nations Laissez Passer coming to the HKSAR or transiting the HKSAR to/ from a third place for official United Nations business
- Those who have successfully enrolled with e-Channel service for frequent visitors
- Those in possession of a valid HKSAR Travel Pass
- Members of operating aircrew or operating seacrew on board vessels (given that other immigration requirements are met)
- Holders of HKSAR visas permitting stays longer than 14 days and/ or for purposes other than visit (i.e. study or work).
Travel to Hong Kong with the Hong Kong PAR
Hong Kong is a fascinating destination that attracted over 58 million visitors in 2017. Featuring iconic skyscrapers, delicious gastronomy, and incredible nature reserves, Hong Kong is packed with surprises and a colorful culture.
As an Indian citizen, traveling to Hong Kong has become easier with the Hong Kong PAR. The Hong Kong pre-arrival registration for Indians will contribute to smoother travel. Citizens of India no longer need to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate, they can register online for the Hong Kong online visa.
The PAR was created to simplify travel for Indian citizens who wish to visit Hong Kong. The PAR also serves as a Hong Kong transit visa for Indians. Even though the application is often processed within 24 hours, the Government of Hong Kong advises Indian travellers to apply for the PAR as early as 4 to 6 weeks in advance.